HONORARY ALUMNUS AWARD
As part of our efforts to develop the SMU Alumni body, the SMU Alumni Association (SMUAA) submitted a proposal in 2007 to the then-SMU President Howard Hunter to formalise an honorary alumni initiative. The purpose of the honorary alumni initiative is to recognise distinguished members of society who have contributed significantly to the development of SMU and its community. By conferring the honorary alumni status to these individuals, we aim to uphold the qualities that we desire our alumni to strive towards. It is also our intent to express our gratitude to those who have given to SMU.
In 2005, the first dean of the Lee Kong Chian School of Business, Associate Professor Tsui Kai Chong, was awarded honorary alumnus status by SMUAA's first Executive Committee. This was in recognition of his instrumental role in the school’s early development years. The second honorary alumnus status was awarded to Justice of Appeal Andrew Phang for his key role in the foundation and development of the SMU School of Law.
Under this formalised scheme, from this year, SMUAA, in consultation with the University, will award honorary alumni awards to deserving non-SMU graduates who have contributed significantly to the SMU community, and who are distinguished in their chosen endeavours - whether in the public or private sector, sports or the arts.
Honorary Alumni Benefits: Honorary alumni will enjoy the same rights and benefits as SMUAA Ordinary Members. An honorary alumnus status is for life and the rights and benefits of the honorary alumni will always mirror that of the top level of alumni membership available.
Honour Roll: An honour roll listing the names of our honorary alumni and the year they were conferred the status will be available on the SMUAA website (www.smuaa.org.sg). This is to increase the visibility and awareness of such distinguished individuals who will serve as a motivation to current SMU students and alumni.
Initiatives Involving Honorary Alumni: Honorary alumni will be invited to official SMU events and activities as and when they occur. New initiatives will be launched to increase alumni involvement and to enrich the SMU experience for students and graduates. Such new initiatives include, and are not limited to the following:
Alumni Lecture Series
- Honorary alumni may be invited to deliver a short discourse in their area of expertise. Lecture areas can include, and are not limited to, the following:
- Such lectures will be made available to the SMU Community
- Honorary alumni may be invited to share their perspectives on the reality of their relevant industry with regard to the following :
- The practicality and reality of work for a fresh graduate
- The skills needed to succeed
- Career prospects and trends in the industry
- Being successful in the industry
- Honorary alumni are encouraged to form mentoring relationships with students and alumni. The SMUAA and the Office of Alumni Relations will facilitate this process.
Last updated on 23 Jun 2016 .